5 Questions to Ask a Bookkeeper During Your Consultation
If you’re ready to work with a Bookkeeper, you’ll likely start with a consultation or as I call them, a Discovery Call.
The Discovery Call is typically a 15-30 minute chat to see if you might be a good fit for each other. It should also set the stage for what the next steps are. I like to prepare for these calls by gathering information on our prospective client. It’s also essential for you to have a little prep before the call too.
Many times people reach out to us when they know something is wrong. They feel frustrated and are ready for help.
That’s great, and that’s why we're here!
However, in this cloud of frustration, they often forget to consider (and ask) some critical questions about working with a Bookkeeper.
By asking a few fundamental questions, you’ll gain more insight and value out of that free Discovery call. You’ll also have a clearer picture of who you might be working with and what the next steps will be
When reaching out for help, the goal is always less confusion, not more, so let’s nip that in the bud today!
So, you’ve done some research on your Bookkeeper, and you feel pretty good about working together. You schedule your Discovery Call, and then you—Well, what exactly do you do?
First, ask yourself:
- What pain point in my business do I need to solve by hiring a Bookkeeper?
- What are my overall expectations of a Bookkeeper?
- Are there any bookkeeping tasks that I want to manage?
- What would I like my Bookkeeper's responsibilities to be?
>> Click below for your free workbook <<
The Next Step
Once you answer these questions and know what you want, you’ll gather your key questions that you’ll be asking your potential Bookkeeper:
- What is your experience in my industry? Surprisingly, no one's asked me this question, and I think it’s pretty essential. If you have industry-specific accounting needs (I.e., job costing for the Construction industry), you want to know how familiar your Bookkeeper is with that process.
- What is your preferred method of communication? Maybe you prefer phone over email when you have questions. You’ll want to know how your Bookkeeper communicates before you engage. In our firm, all of our calls are scheduled, and we have an agenda beforehand. Otherwise, we talk primarily via email. We realize that may not be a good fit for everyone, and that’s okay! Be sure you’re on the same page here before signing on the dotted line or else you’re bound to experience frustration in this area.
- What is the best way to share my business documents with you? If you’ve got a stack of paper documents in your office that your Bookkeeper needs access to, be sure you know how they would accept them. What digital storage solution do they use? Or, you may be looking for someone to come onsite to pick them up, and there could be fees for that, so it’s best to ask about this up front.
- What are the next steps after our call? Never leave the call confused! If you’re not clear on what happens next, be sure to get your answers now.
- When can we start? Some accounting firms are much busier than others, and onboarding capacity can be very different from firm to firm. If you’ve decided on a start date, you’ll want to know precisely when your Bookkeeper can get started as well. October through April is busy season for Accountants and Bookkeepers, so keep this in mind if you're waiting until then to reach out.
Over the years, I’ve enjoyed speaking with so many business owners on discovery calls. Through this experience, I’ve found these five questions to make a difference in how comfortable prospects feel during and after the call.
Remember: Don’t be afraid to ask questions! We want you to have all the answers you need.
Ready to schedule your discovery call? Contact us today. I can’t wait to meet you!